Fluorine has proven to be an essential tool in medicinal chemistry and drug discovery. It is worth noting that three of the current top ten best sellers contain fluorine atoms, including the biggest blockbuster medicine, lipid lowering agent Lipitor. However, one drawback of introducing fluorine substituents into drug products is that it poses increased challenges in the manufacturing process. While many different fluorinating agents have been invented over the past decades, the late stage regio-selective fluorination of molecules remains far from straightforward.
We are seeking a highly skilled and well self-motivated Postdoctoral Research Fellow to join our Medicinal Chemistry group and engage in novel synthetic chemistry research. The research projects will center around the elucidation of new reactions and reagents for regio-selective late stage fluorination as well as synthetic chemistry, novel synthetic routes, and the development of innovative chemical systems such as flow chemistry, to enable an access to novel fluorinated biologically active molecules.
The Achaogen postdoctoral program is an immersive three-year opportunity designed to enable highly independent and motivated scientists to perform impactful basic or translational research in a biotech-industry setting. Fellows will be paired with an internal scientific mentors and integrate into in a highly interdisciplinary environment, surrounded by high-caliber researchers with diverse scientific backgrounds. We strive to empower Achaogen postdocs to make influential discoveries that result in high-impact publications and contribute to the overall goal of developing new medicines.
· Highly self-motivated, independent researcher willing to tackle challenging problems.
· Strong ability to critically evaluate obtained data and propose changes to aid advancing projects.
· Hands on experience with modern synthetic techniques and analytical instrumentation.
· Independently pursue important scientific questions using multi-disciplinary skills and experimental techniques.
· Interpret and clearly communicate findings to a multi-disciplinary team of research biologists and chemists.
· Present posters or give oral presentations at scientific research conferences, and publish scientific articles.
· Natural product total synthesis.
· Demonstrated track record of innovation as evidenced by high-impact publications.
· Willingness to learn new technical skills as required to address goals of research project.
· Possesses exceptional ability to analyze and present applicable data.
· Current US work authorization required.
· Ph.D. in Chemistry or related field (recent graduate within 18 months)
Preferred Additional Skills:
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent decision making and organization skills.
· Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, transparency, scientific rigor and drive.
· Ability to travel domestically and internationally.