Achaogen is seeking a proactive, highly motivated, organized and collaborative EH&S Manager / Supervisor to join a dynamic team of scientists seeking to develop new cures for multi-drug resistant bacterial infections.
The EH&S Manager / Supervisor will be responsible for supporting the office environment and research laboratory activities for Achaogen’s Chemistry, Biology, Analytical, and Bioanalytical laboratories located in South San Francisco.
- Maintain a safe workplace ensuring corporate and staff compliance with environmental processes, ergonomics, and regulatory requirements.
- Monitor developing environmental federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and risk initiatives; analyze potential impacts on system operations; provide operations and upper management with information as appropriate.
- Manage of EH&S documents, contract administration including associated retention rules, and general management of department including budget.
- Identify needed support from outside consultants, develop scopes of work and manage issuance of contracts.
- Knowledge of hazardous waste regulations and experience managing a Large Quantity Generator site.
- Conduct employee orientations; emergency response training; and other trainings as needed.
- Ensure inspections by regulatory agencies are coordinated, deficiencies minimized, track corrections, and maintain all logs and documentation associated with permits and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain the Site Preparedness and Emergency Plans & Procedures.
- Four years of professional experience with a strong knowledge of Environmental Health and Safety regulations.
- General management activities including budget preparation.
- Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM) or other EH&S related certifications a plus.
- Bachelor of Science degree in the area of Environmental studies, Safety, Chemistry or related field.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written).
- Demonstrated ability to influence by example and the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to develop and make presentations before various audience sizes at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work in a diverse group of employees fostering a team environment.
- Able to focus, multitask, and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Professional and confident demeanor with proven experience handling confidential information.
- Excellent decision making and organization skills.
- Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, transparency, scientific rigor and drive.